Thursday, February 14, 2013

"Come on, do math!"

We can all admit to at least some extent that Family Guy is a hilarious and enjoyable show. Who doesn't love Peter Griffin and his immature ways? I remember watching this episode that was aired during the summer and I couldn't help, but notice how stereotypical and racist this one segment was. It showed Peter telling his daughter, Meg, that he "will do better at this job than I did on the SATs". After, the show flashbacks to Peter taking an Asian boy out instead of using a calculator and saying, "Come on, do math!".  I admit, I did laugh, but as I look back, I couldn't help but notice how racist it was. Do people really think that the only thing Asians do is math and anything school related? 


All jokes aside, there are actually some Asians out there that take these types of jokes offensive. Although it is the stereotype that Asians are smart in school, they can also excel at other things! Sure, it is funny the first time to say something to your Asian friend like, "What?! How'd you fail the test..you're Asian?!?", but if you say this phrase more often to your friend, they may take this phrase more personally every time you say it and feel degraded. 

No comments:

Post a Comment