Thursday, March 7, 2013

Think Before You Speak!

As I was searching for an article for this week's blog, I came across this crazy article. Recently, a college student made a four and a half minute Youtube video rant listing reasons why he would hate to be Asian.

Some of his reasons are summarized as followed: 
              1. Most Asians look alike
              2. If I were an Asian man, I'd most likely be with an Asian woman and I do not find them attractive
              3. I suck at math
              4. The only way you can be in show biz if you know kung fu or if you play an Asian mobster
              5. I'd be short
              6. I hate sushi and it would be “everywhere” if I were Asian. 




This situation mirrored an incident a couple years back that involved a UCLA college student ranting about Asian students in the campus library. After receiving harsh criticism, this college kid said the whole video was just a joke. Come on......you're supposed to be a mature college kid and you thought this wasn't gonna get you in trouble?! I am utterly disgusted at how inconsiderate people can be in what they verbally say. 



Since this situation has occurred before, incidents like this show that racism does continue to exist in our world. Even though the college kid said it was purely a joke, the video is seen as complete racism and a huge offense to the Asian community. People need to realize that there is a fine line that exists when blurting out a racial joke is okay and not okay, but this college student completely crossed that line. Never forget that saying: Think before you speak!

1 comment:

  1. This was so interesting. I agree, though. I see Asian racism everywhere and it's horrible. This did cross the line. If I was Asian, I'd be 10 times more offended than I already am and might even try to contact the guy directly. Even though they're Asian, they're still human and have feelings. To state why you WOULDN'T want to be a certain race and put it online (or talk about it in a public library)is absurd and extremely hurtful.

    ReplyDelete