Friday, April 26, 2013

Final Summary/Reaction

After conducting this experiment, I was surprised by my results. When my white friend and I held the door for people at different times, I was slightly shocked to see that most people treated us both the same; however, there was one woman who was in late 50's who did not thank me. Despite that result, we both received almost the same amount of thank you's, while holding the door. I initially thought my white friend was going to receive more gratitude than I would. Thus, it was comforting that most people are not so hostile towards Asian-Americans.

In my second situation, I was not so shocked that workers at stores treated my white friend and me equally. From past experiences, workers tend to treat me just as they would treat a white person. When I would walk into a store, they would be friendly and eager to help me in finding clothes. In one particular store, one white worker was even eager in finding a whole outfit for me when I just asked for help on finding a certain blouse; therefore, I was pleased to see that workers do not discriminate against Asian-Americans.

Although it may seem that people do not really discriminate against Asian-Americans, I came across an accidental situation recently that felt as if I was being discriminated. This situation occurred when my family and I were at a dinner buffet. My mom and I were at the end of the line and a white lady stands behind us. I went back to our table to get something and then I rejoined my mom again on the line. Suddenly, the lady complained that I was cutting the line. We allowed her to go in front of us, but she kept on scowling at my mother and me. As we continued to wait on the line, a white teenager around my age did the same exact thing I did right in front of the lady. The thing was that the lady did not mutter a word to the white mother and daughter. Moreover, I felt so offended that she complained about my mother and I, but not about the white mother and daughter. 

All in all, my results of my experiences at the mall were very promising. It shows that Asian-American discrimination is not a major issue around my area; however, the situation of the buffet line proved that there is a small percentage of racism against Asian-Americans that still continue in our world today. I found this experience to be interesting and it shows where my family and I, as Asian-Americans, stand in society. 

No comments:

Post a Comment