Thursday, April 11, 2013

Strategy/Plan for Research

For my research, I have chosen to use the method of "participant observation". I plan to go to Garden State Plaza Mall to see how people will react to an Asian-American (me) versus a white American. Since many people are usually shopping for spring/summer clothes, this will give me an opportunity to see how different a worker may react based on a certain race. 

When my white American friend and I head to walk through the entrance of the mall, I will hold the door for people of different races to see how they react. I will take mental notes on which people showed appreciation for my door holding and which people did not. After, I would let my white American friend hold the door for people of different races, as well. I will observe how they react to her holding the door for them.

Next, we will head into a clothing store and see how the workers interact with us. I will walk into the store first and ask a worker of a different race to help me find a certain top. Then, my white American friend will walk into the store and ask a worker of a different race a similar question. Discreetly, I will watch the interaction between my friend and the worker. 

I predict that my white American friend will receive better treatment than I will. I look forward in experimenting with the issue of racism against Asian-Americans and truly see how different people act depending on a race.

No comments:

Post a Comment